Tips for Walkers
- Practice walking to school with your child,
- Walk on the sidewalk, if one is available – when on a street with no sidewalk, walk facing the traffic,
- Before you cross the street, stop and look left, right and left again to see if cars are coming,
- Make eye contact with drivers before crossing and always cross streets at crosswalks or intersections, and
- Stay alert and avoid distracted walking.
Tips for Bike Riders
- Practice riding the bike route to school with your child,
- Ride on the right side of the road, with traffic, and in a single file,
- Come to a complete stop before crossing the street and walk bikes across the street,
- Stay alert and avoid distracted riding, and
- Make sure your child always wears a properly fitted helmet and bright clothing.
Tips for Bus Riders
- Go to the bus stop with your child to teach them the proper way to get on and off the bus,
- Teach your children to stand 6 feet (or three giant steps) away from the curb, and
- If your child must cross the street in front of the bus, teach him or her to walk on the side of the road until they are 10 feet ahead of the bus – your child and the bus driver should always be able to see each other.
Additional Safety Tips: https://www.nsc.org/community-safety/safety-topics/school-safety/school-safety-home